On 2 December 2002, an Application under article 292 of the Convention was filed by the Russian Federation against Australia for the release of the vessel Volga, flying the flag of the Russian Federation. The Application was entered in the list of cases as Case No. 11.
On 7 December 2002, the Government of Australia filed its Statement in Response.
By Order dated 2 December 2002, the President fixed 12 and 13 December 2002 as the dates for the hearing.
On 4 December 2002, Australia nominated Ivan Shearer AM, as judge ad hoc. Mr Shearer was admitted to participate in the proceedings, after having made a solemn declaration in relation to the case at a public sitting on 11 December 2002.
Prior to the opening of the hearing, the Tribunal held initial deliberations on 11 December 2002.
Oral statements were presented at four public sittings held on 12 and 13 December 2002. In their concluding statements, the representatives of the parties read their final submissions.
On 23 December 2002, the Tribunal delivered its Judgment in the case.
Institution of Proceedings
- ITLOS/PV.02/01 – 12 December 2002 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.02/02 – 12 December 2002 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.02/03 – 13 December 2002 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.02/04 – 13 December 2002 p.m.
- Minutes of public hearings (original language) in accordance with article 86 of the Rules of the Tribunal
- Judgment of 23 December 2002
- ITLOS/Press 71: Application filed on behalf of the Russian Federation against Australia for release of arrested vessel and members of crew
- ITLOS/Press 73: Hearing to commence on 12 December 2002 at 10 a.m. in The “Volga” Case
- ITLOS/Press 74: Judgment to be delivered in the “Volga” Case
- ITLOS/Press 75: Judgment delivered in the “Volga” Case