On 6 May 2019, Switzerland instituted arbitral proceedings under Annex VII to the Convention against Nigeria in a dispute concerning the arrest and detention of the M/T “San Padre Pio”, its crew and cargo.
Pending the constitution of the arbitral tribunal and after the expiry of the two-week time limit provided for by article 290, paragraph 5, of the Convention, Switzerland, on 21 May 2019, submitted to the Tribunal a request for the prescription of provisional measures in respect of the dispute. The case was entered in the Tribunal’s list of cases as Case No. 27.
By an Order dated 29 May 2019, after having ascertained the views of the parties, the President fixed 21 and 22 June 2019 as the dates for the hearing.
Both Switzerland and Nigeria chose judges ad hoc pursuant to article 17 of the Statute and article 19 of the Rules. Ms. Anna Petrig was chosen as judge ad hoc by Switzerland and Mr. Sean David Murphy was chosen as judge ad hoc by Nigeria.
Nigeria filed with the Tribunal a Statement in Response on 17 June 2019.
Prior to the opening of the hearing, the Tribunal held initial deliberations on 20 June 2019.
Oral statements were presented on 21 and 22 June 2019, in four public sittings. In accordance with article 75, paragraph 2, of the Rules, the parties presented their final submissions at the hearing on 22 June 2019.
The Tribunal delivered its Order on 6 July 2019.
On 22 July 2019, each party submitted an initial report on compliance with the provisional measures prescribed. Pursuant to requests from the President of the Tribunal in accordance with article 95 of the Rules and paragraph 146(3) of the Order of 6 July 2019, the parties furnished additional information and reports regarding compliance with the provisional measures prescribed by the Tribunal. Switzerland made these additional submissions on 16 August 2019, 25 October 2019, 8 November 2019 and 5 November 2020, whereas Nigeria did so on 16 August, 17 September and 10 October 2019.
- Request for the Prescription of Provisional Measures of the Swiss Confederation
- Statement in Response of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
- ITLOS/PV.19/C27/1/Rev.1 – 21 June 2019 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.19/C27/2/Rev.1 – 21 June 2019 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.19/C27/3/Rev.1 – 22 June 2019 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.19/C27/4/Rev.1 – 22 June 2019 p.m.
- Minutes of public hearings (original language) in accordance with article 86 of the Rules of the Tribunal
- Order 2019/3 of 29 May 2019
- Order of 6 July 2019
- Joint declaration of Judges Cabello and Chadha
- Declaration of Judge Kittichaisaree
- Declaration of Judge Kolodkin
- Seperate opinion of Judge Heidar
- Seperate opinion of Judge ad hoc Murphy
- Seperate opinion of Judge ad hoc Petrig
- Dissenting opinion of Judge Lucky
- Dissenting opinion of Judge Kateka
- Dissenting opinion of Judge Gao
- Dissenting opinion of Judge Bouguetaia
Reports on Compliance with the Provisional Measures Prescribed
- Report of the Swiss Confederation of 22 July 2019
- Additional information of the Swiss Confederation of 16 August 2019
- Report of the Swiss Confederation of 25 October 2019
- Additional Report of the Swiss Confederation of 8 November 2019
- Additional Report of the Swiss Confederation of 5 November 2020
- Report of the Federal Republic of Nigeria of 22 July 2019
- Second Report of the Federal Republic of Nigeria of 16 August 2019
- Third Report of the Federal Republic of Nigeria of 17 September 2019
- Supplement to the Third Report of the Federal Republic of Nigeria of 10 October 2019
- ITLOS/Press 283: Switzerland requests provisional measures in a dispute with Nigeria concerning the detention of the M/T “San Padre Pio“
- ITLOS/Press 286: Hearing to be held on 21 and 22 June 2019
- ITLOS/Press 287: Solemn declaration by judges ad hoc at 3 p.m. on 20 June 2019
- ITLOS/Press 289: Tribunal to deliver its Order at 12 noon on 6 July 2019
- ITLOS/Press 290: Order in TheM/T “San Padre Pio” Case (Switzerland v. Nigeria), Provisional Measures