On 21 March 2001, an Application under article 292 of the Convention was filed on behalf of Belize against France for the prompt release of the fishing vessel Grand Prince, flying the flag of Belize. The case was entered in the list of cases as Case No. 8.
By Order dated 21 March 2001, the President fixed 5 and 6 April 2001 as the dates for the hearing.
On 28 March 2001, the Government of France filed observations regarding the Application filed on behalf of Belize.
On 4 April 2001, France nominated Jean-Pierre Cot as judge ad hoc. Mr. Cot was admitted to participate in the case as judge ad hoc after having made a solemn declaration at a public sitting of the Tribunal held on 5 April 2001.
Prior to the opening of the hearing, the Tribunal held initial deliberations on 5 April 2001.
Three public sittings to hear the oral arguments of the parties and to present evidence were held on 5 and 6 April 2001. In their concluding statements, the representatives of the parties read their final submissions.
On 20 April 2001, the Tribunal delivered its judgment in the case.
Institution of Proceedings
- ITLOS/PV.01/1 – 5 April 2001 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.01/2 – 5 April 2001 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.01/3 – 6 April 2001 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.01/4 – 6 April 2001 p.m.
- Minutes of public hearings (original language) in accordance with article 86 of the Rules of the Tribunal
Questions to the Parties
- List of questions to the Parties
- Answers from France to questions posed by the Tribunal
- Reply of Belize to questions posed by the Tribunal
- Judgment of 20 April 2001
- Declaration of Vice-President Nelson
- Declaration of Judge Wolfrum
- Declaration of Judge ad hoc Cot
- Separate opinion of Judge Anderson
- Separate opinion of Judge Laing
- Separate opinion of Judge Treves
- Joint dissenting opinion of Judges Caminos, Marotta Rangel, Yankov, Yamamoto, Akl, Vukas, Marsit, Eiriksson and Jesus
- ITLOS/Press 46: Application filed on behalf of Belize against France for release of arrested fishing vessel
- ITLOS/Press 47: Judgment to be delivered in the “Grand Prince” Case
- ITLOS/Press 48: Tribunal delivers Judgment in the “Grand Prince” Case (Belize v. France)/Tribunal finds it has no jurisdiction