On 27 November 2000, an Application under article 292 of the Convention was filed on behalf of Seychelles against France concerning the release of the fishing vessel Monte Confurco, flying the flag of Seychelles, and its Master. The case was entered in the list of cases as Case No. 6.
By Order dated 27 November 2000, the President fixed 7 and 8 December 2000 as the dates for the hearing.
France filed its Statement in Response on 6 December 2000.
Prior to the opening of the hearing, the Tribunal held initial deliberations on 6 December 2000.
Four public sittings to hear the oral arguments of the parties and to present evidence were held on 7 and 8 December 2000. Final submissions were made by each party at the end of the hearing.
On 18 December 2000, the Tribunal delivered its Judgment in the case.
Institiution of Proceedings
- ITLOS/PV.00/5 – 7 December 2000 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.00/6 – 7 December 2000 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.00/7 – 8 December 2000 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.00/8 – 8 December 2000 p.m.
- Minutes of public hearings (original language) in accordance with article 86 of the Rules of the Tribunal
Questions to the Parties
- List of questions to the parties
- Answers from the Republic of Seychelles to questions posed by the Tribunal
- French legislation submitted by France (French text only)
- Final Submissions of the Republic of Seychelles (French text only)
- Final Submissions of France (French text only)
- Judgment of 18 December 2000
- ITLOS/Press 40: Application filed on behalf of the Seychelles against France for release of arrested fishing vessel
- ITLOS/Press 41: Judgment to be delivered in the “Monte Confurco” Case
- ITLOS/Press 42: Tribunal delivers Judgment in the “Monte Confurco” Case (Seychelles v. France)