By a letter dated 13 December 2009, which was filed in the Registry of the Tribunal on 14 December 2009, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bangladesh notified the President of the Tribunal of declarations issued by Myanmar on 4 November and by Bangladesh on 12 December 2009, respectively.
In its declaration of 4 November 2009, Myanmar stated that it “accepts the jurisdiction of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea for the settlement of dispute between the Union of Myanmar and the People's Republic of Bangladesh relating to the delimitation of maritime boundary between the two countries in the Bay of Bengal”.
In its declaration of 12 December 2009, Bangladesh stated that it “accepts the jurisdiction of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea for the settlement of the dispute between the People's Republic of Bangladesh and the Union of Myanmar relating to the delimitation of their maritime boundary in the Bay of Bengal”.
Based on these declarations, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bangladesh stated that “[g]iven Bangladesh's and Myanmar's mutual consent to the jurisdiction of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, and in accordance with the provisions of article 287, paragraph 4, of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, Bangladesh considers that your distinguished Tribunal is now the only forum for the resolution of the parties' dispute”. The Minister further stated that “Bangladesh respectfully invites the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea to exercise jurisdiction over the maritime boundary dispute between Bangladesh and Myanmar, which is the subject of Bangladesh's 8 October 2009 statement of claim”.
In the light of the agreement of the parties, as reflected in their respective declarations, to submit to the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea for adjudication their dispute relating to the delimitation of their maritime boundary in the Bay of Bengal and taking into account the notification of Bangladesh filed on 14 December 2009, the case was entered in the list of cases as Case No. 16.
On 25 and 26 January 2010, the President of the Tribunal held consultations with the representatives of the parties in order to ascertain their views with regard to questions of procedure.
On 28 January 2010, the President adopted an Order fixing 1 July 2010 as the time limit for the filing of the memorial by Bangladesh and 1 December 2010 as the time limit for the filing of the counter-memorial by Myanmar.
By an Order dated 17 March 2010, the Tribunal fixed 15 March 2011 as the time limit for the filing of the reply by Bangladesh and 1 July 2011 as the time limit for the filing of the rejoinder by Myanmar. The pleadings were duly filed within the time limits so prescribed.
Both Bangladesh and Myanmar nominated judges ad hoc pursuant to article 17 of the Statute of the Tribunal and article 8 of the Rules of the Tribunal. Thomas Mensah was chosen as judge ad hoc by Bangladesh and Bernard Oxman was chosen as judge ad hoc by Myanmar.
On 19 August 2011, the President, after ascertaining the views of the parties, fixed 8 September 2011 as the date for the opening of the hearing.
Prior to the opening of the hearing, the Tribunal held initial deliberations on 5, 6 and 7 September 2011.
The hearing took place in Hamburg from 8 to 24 September 2011, during which the parties presented their oral statements at 15 public sittings. In accordance with article 75, paragraph 2, of the Rules, in their concluding statements, the representatives of the parties presented their final submissions.
The Tribunal delivered its Judgment in the case on 14 March 2012.
- ITLOS/PV.11/2/Rev.1 – 8 September 2011 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/3/Rev.1 – 9 September 2011 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/4/Rev.1 – 12 September 2011 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/5/Rev.1 – 12 September 2011 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/6/Rev.1 – 13 September 2011 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/7/Rev.1 – 15 September 2011 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/8/Rev.1 – 16 September 2011 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/9/Rev.1 – 19 September 2011 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/10/Rev.1 – 19 September 2011 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/11/Rev.1 – 20 September 2011 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/12/Rev.1 – 21 September 2011 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/13/Rev.1 – 22 September 2011 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/14/Rev.1 – 22 September 2011 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/15/Rev.1 – 24 September 2011 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.11/16/Rev.1 – 24 September 2011 p.m.
- Minutes of public hearings (original language) in accordance with article 86 of the Rules of the Tribunal
- Judgment of 14 March 2012
- ITLOS/Press 140: Proceedings instituted in the Dispute concerning the maritime boundary of Bangladesh and Myanmar in the Bay of Bengal
- ITLOS/Press 142: Fixing of time-limits
- ITLOS/Press 169: Public hearing to be held from 8 September 2011
- ITLOS/Press 174: Tribunal to deliver its Judgment in the Dispute concerning delimitation of the maritime boundary between Bangladesh and Myanmar in the Bay of Bengal on Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 11:30 a.m.
- ITLOS/Press 175: Tribunal delivers its Judgment in Case No. 16